A car accident can drastically impact your life in ways you never expect. The actions that you take after the accident can also determine your future. Regardless of how cautious you are on the road, an interaction with a negligent driver can result in severe injuries and damages. It’s essential to know what you should do after an accident.
One of the steps that can critically help you in the aftermath of a crash is to document the accident. Taking photos will verify your story and assist you with insurance claims and legal pursuits.
It’s not always enough to take photos of your injuries or the damages to your car. Here are a few other items to remember when documenting your accident:
- The accident scene – Take photos of the full scene of the crash as soon as possible. If you’re not too injured after the accident, you can take them after the collision if you can move around safely. Remember to take photos from various angles as well to get a full picture of the scene.
- All the vehicles – Aside from pictures of your car, you should take photos of any other vehicles involved in the crash. It’s also helpful to have pictures of the other vehicles to show where they were in relation to yours.
- Any debris or damaged objects – Often, an accident can cause pieces of the car to fall apart onto the road. Or, one of the drivers involved may have veered into a tree or fence. Make sure to photograph any of these bits of evidence.
- The traffic lights and signs – Documenting the nearby traffic lights and signs can help explain circumstances that could have led to an accident. Take photos of the lights and signs such as mileage signs, yield signs, and even construction signs.
- The conditions of the road – Rainy, slippery roads, or potholes in the street can lead to an accident. Photos of these factors can help you prove your story.
Gathering photographic evidence of the accident will make it easier to back up what happened. You can use the photos to file insurance claims as well as pursue legal action against a negligent driver. Taking pictures after an accident is a critical step after an accident and one that you shouldn’t forget.